Friday, January 22, 2010

millenialism

A quote from a comment stream by someone named TitusStaccato
I liked this weeks program on all counts. Libertarian Millenials is a spot on label. I think it applies my Gen X a lot too. I am not implying that Snowden specifically is part of this creedless creed, but the Libertarian Millenialism I recognize in myself, wanting to be--I believe it was P J Buchanan's term "a multimedia ninja [motorcycle rapping adult film] performer" --I believe the demographic rootlessness of the middle class of the last three decads is probably the culprit in part. Not being quite young enough to be a millenial allow me to delude you into believing I have an insightful perspective on the causes.
Millenials are not all bad people and under no circumstances shouldbe used as a food source without first consulting with the millenial in question. What millenials are lacking, speaking for myself (a late X-er) are ordinary affiliations such as church, scouting, Indian Guides or even school clubs. If like me the millenial's family finally seemed to get rooted when they were past 10 years old, the part missing from the normal socialization and practical skill set that comes from, for example learning in groups of peers while chaperoned/ learning in an ordered or stratified group environment. Computers retard progress in those sorts of skills and serve as a shield to hide the deficiencies, in the same way radical politics, bizarre fashions and food fetishes do.
I used to tell myself that I would fill in those traditional knowledge gaps later, but I never wanted to start way behind the Joneses in learning to start fires or chart a course on a paper map thus never did. I've got arithemetic down pat though. The millenial strives for fame, glamor and/or money and generally doesn't believe in nation, family or creed because he has been taught formal analysis critical theory to look for goblins of political incorrectness and ignores the bigger picture. Anger, unless it is trivial and extremely personal OCD anger is grounds for automatic dismissal and one less person the millenial has to deal with. It is narcissm wrapped in a false choosines that borders on misanthropy.
So the big concern is 45 million entitled jerkweeds whose only skill is feeling good about themselves, I can recognize the type. Millenials' enablers are only as bad as the average millenial requires. But when a millenial body is displeased it behaves like the 150 million zomboid Shi'ites who are the world's other great scourge. Meanwhile the lack of talented shepherds is preventing the millenials from doing the only thing that could possibly save him or her, patriotism, tradition, or a laissez-faire competitive challenge. The solution is to make outer space seem attractive to all of them and their enablers and launch them all out there. The strategy "I hear Allah calling, sign right here, see ya" .
I'm sure I am missing something in this analysis but I hit the high points of why we're doomed, in my own words. Here is a link to a non-partisan think tank devoted to keeping the future from being insubstantial, the Long Now Foundation,http://blog.longnow.org/02013/... Please remember to recycle.

No comments: